Interested in using Poplar Creek School for a special event such as a photo shoot? Please call us today to schedule an appointment. The schoolhouse is the perfect backdrop for graduation or school photos! Inside are all original school desks, chalkboards, and beautifully shaped windows that make a great backdrop. We maintain the grounds as well and the outside makes for a great picture. Remember it costs to maintain both the inside and out and we request no one use the facility unless you have scheduled a date and paid the rental fee.
Rentals- 2hr or less photo/video shoot- $50
Each additional hour is $25. Full day is $150.
The facility is not available for parties.
History of the Poplar Creek School
The Poplar Creek School was also referred to as Sub District #4 in the roster of Liberty Township’s schools in 1897.
Land for the school house was donated by the Brumback family on the east and the Zerkle family on the west. This occurred in 1826, but the land transfer indicates the land was to be used as a cemetery, school, and for religious and social purposes. Gravestones in the cemetery date to as early as 1812.
The present school house was built in 1884. Prior to this building however, two other school houses had previously existed. In 1852, the first school house was built about a half mile east of the current site on present day Smurr Farm. This building had no floors, except for where the teacher’s desk was located. The walls were not plastered, the seats made of lathe, and desks made of rough lumber. The building was sold and moved to True Farm.
The second school house was built in 1858, at the present location of Poplar Creek School, and it faced north. This building was later torn down.
And so, as history has it, the current building was constructed in 1884 using materials from the second building. Flooring and other materials were repurposed.
The school bell was added in 1894 and it is still intact and functional today. If you visit, be sure to give it a ring!
The school closed in 1928.
The building was then used for meetings, such as P.T.A. meetings. It sold in 1938 to multiple owners and the name was changed to “Poplar Creek Community Club”.
Over the years, other clubs and organizations have used the facility.
Currently, the Baltimore Area Museum manages the property and grounds.
With gratitude the Baltimore Area Museum would like to thank the Ed Sands Fund for it’s continued support to preserve this beautiful piece of history.
Private tours and events can be scheduled at the school house. Please call the museum for more information. 740-862-3900.